Childcare in transitional periods

What do you do if the semester starts in October, but the daycare place for the child doesn't start until December? Or the new job starts in June, but the kindergarten year does not begin until August? Or if you are only coming to JGU for one or two semesters as an international student or visiting scholar?

For such regular transitional cases, we have developed the childcare in transitional periods as a care offer for our employees and students. The childcare in transitional periods is intended to enable parents to return to their studies or jobs, even if they have not yet found long-term regular childcare in the form of a place in a kindergarten, with childminders, or through nannies. At the same time, the service also offers international students and visiting scholars the chance to get a childcare place, even if they only want to study and research at JGU for one or two semesters and therefore usually do not get a place in a municipal facility or with child minders.

General Conditions

In the childcare in transitional periods, children from eight weeks to 12 years of age are taken care of by pedagogical specialists. The care is approved for six months, an familiarisation phase takes place at the beginning. During this time, the care times can be flexibly coordinated, whereby the parents commit themselves here for at least one month. During this time, you can have your child(ren) cared for on a full-day basis and with full board for up to three days per week. You coordinate the days of care flexibly with the facility, committing for at least one month. During the Rhineland-Palatinate summer vacations, an increase to five days per week is possible by arrangement for up to four weeks.

Students pay an own contribution of 15,00€ (from 01.06.2024: 20,00€), employees and Humboldt fellows pay an own contribution of 25,00€ (from 01.06.2024: 35,00€) per child per day of care.

Child Care Facility

The childcare in transitional periods takes place at the back-up institution "3 K - Kinder, Kunst, Kultur" of pme Familienservice GmbH. This is located near the main train station and Münsterplatz in the rectory of the Altmünster parish:

3K – Kinder, Kunst, Kultur
Münsterstraße 25
55116 Mainz


If you would like to use the childcare in transitional periods, please first arrange tour with the facility. To do so, please contact pme directly by e-mail with the subject Childcare in Transitional Periods (Übergangsbetreuung) and your telephone number.

If you like the facility, you can subsequently apply for the childcare in transitional periods at the Family Services Center. To do so, please complete the application form and submit it along with a copy of your child's birth certificate and a copy of your employment contract or enrollment certificate by email, in person, or by mail. Please note the application deadlines below.

Places in the childcare in transitional periods are allocated by the Family Services Centre in consultation with the facility, taking into account their urgency. Unfortunately, due to the increased demand, it is currently not possible for us to approve all applications submitted. However, we will gladly leave your child on our waiting list for the next month in the event of a cancellation. If you urgently need a place in transitional care at short notice, please contact the Family Services Center!

The application deadlines for 2023/24 are as follows:

Start of familiarisation in:

July 2024: application deadline 02.06.2024
August 2024: application deadline 01.07.2024
September/October 2024: application deadline 04.08.2024
November 2024: application deadline 01.10.2024
December 2024: application deadline 03.11.2024
January 2025: application deadline 01.12.2024

Due to the high demand, it is necessary that you submit your application two months in advance if you would like to start at the beginning of the semester in April and October. Please note that it may not be possible for you to start with the familiarisation directly at the beginning of the month.

For the extension of the childcare in transitional periods, you must submit a new application to the Family Services Center. The same deadlines apply for the extension applications as for the new applications!